Who we’re looking for:
Do you diagnose and solve problems accurately and quickly? Does “all systems go” on a multi-node architecture get you excited? We’re looking for an Infrastructure Engineer to join our Product Development team, working closely with them to ensure a positive, delightful experience for each of our customers. You’ll be working with over a Petabyte of data using the newest technologies in an environment that loves experimenting and automation.
Scaling, improving, and monitoring our distributed infrastructure is the main focus of this position. Collaborating with our developers, the Infrastructure Engineer will ensure things remain stable, reliable, and recoverable.
This is a full time position as part of our Product Development team in our Gastown, Vancouver office, with a starting salary based on qualifications. Priority will be placed on local applicants, but we will consider remote applicants located in North America, specifically Canada and the West Coast of the US.
A day in the job entails:
- Collaborating with the Product Development team to ensure integrity, security, and ongoing performance of our infrastructure, including identifying errors/bottlenecks and assisting the Development team in resolving them.
- Working alongside the Development team to provide support for deployments and continuous integration.
- Performing/scheduling/maintaining daily backup operations, including software upgrades.
- Fixing errors and system issues via periodic testing, help desk tickets, and other methods
- Using, maintaining, and developing tools that automate system health checks
- Researching and recommending improvements to the organization’s hardware, software and infrastructure.
- Testing and installing issued patches in conjunction with software providers and vendors or other third parties.
- Ensuring that hardware is adequately sized and configured by conducting planning scenarios to meet future needs.
- Creating and updating disaster recovery plans or other security policies, as well as implementing and enforcing them across the business
- Managing and monitoring user accounts, creating, updating and removing access as necessary.
- Acting as a consultant to the team as a technical resource on new applications or potential system enhancements in support of future requirements or developments
You’ll be a great match if you have:
- 3+ years of experience in Systems Administration or Development Operations with an understanding of the application process and metrics to monitor resource usage
- Strong knowledge of system design, analysis, installation, backup, recovery, storage management, methodologies, processes, and tools.
- Working knowledge of distributed systems (e.g. Cassandra, Docker Swarm, HDFS...)
- Ability to filter and analyze logs to understand problems in software
- Scripting skills with Bash and Python, or other similar scripting tools
- Experience with networking TCP/IP protocols
- Practical working knowledge of Linux and Linux Administration
- Ability to write concise and accurate documentation
- Critical thinking skills and the ability to know when and how to use shortcuts
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good sense of ownership and accountability
- Ability to seamlessly transition between big picture thinking and detail oriented thinking
- A Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
You’ll jump to the front of the line if you have:
- A M.Sc. in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- 5+ years of experience as a Systems Administrator or DevOps
- Solid experience with Cassandra, Elastic Search, Docker, Docker Swarm, HDFS/Hadoop, MySQL, CQL.
- Familiarity or experience with Relational and Non-Relational Database Technologies: MySQL/Percona, Cassandra, MongoDB
- Software development skills in Python, Java, Go JavaVM settings, and Python interpreter
What do we value in a candidate?
- A passion for delighting customers
- Trustworthiness, and the ability form meaningful working relationships
- A belief that leadership is attitude and teamwork makes the dream work
- An innovative mindset that leads to solutions
- A self-starter attitude with the discipline and drive to meet your deadlines with little oversight
- An insatiable desire to keep learning and growing
- An adaptable game plan and an ear for coaching
- A knack for doing more with less, but better than the rest
- Strong analytical and time management skills
You’ll want to work with us because:
- Working at PageFreezer, you’ll be part of the team that provides the leading website and social media archiving solution, helping governments, fortune 500s, financial services firms, and more organizations collect and preserve their online conversations to comply with regulatory laws, stay out of legal trouble, and focus on what it is they do best.
- We take care of you! We offer a competitive compensation package, extended health benefits and a matching Retirement Savings Plan. Our office includes a killer view, lovable office dog, and a culture that values flexibility, real work/life balance, and trust.
This job is open to anyone authorized to work in Canada or those aspiring to do so who are capable of obtaining necessary work authorization. We strongly believe that a diverse team is key to making us a successful company.