Who we’re looking for:
DevOps Engineer… SRE… Ops Engineer… Infra Engineer…Production Engineer... titles these days, amiright? But in all seriousness, we’re looking for someone who loves containerization tools, eat/sleeps/breathes Linux, scripts in their sleep, and knows a thing or two about virtualization. Is that you? If so, definitely apply!
You’ll work closely with our Devs to help us scale our distributed infrastructure safely, securely, stable-ly, and quickly. You’ll be working with over a Petabyte of data using the newest technologies in an Agile environment that loves experimentation and automation.
This is a full-time position as part of our Product Development team in our Gastown, Vancouver office, with a competitive starting salary based on qualifications.
A day in the job entails:
- Collaborating with the Product Development team to ensure integrity, security, and ongoing performance of our infrastructure using monitoring tools such as Zabbix, ELK/TICK stack, customizing them or occasionally building ad-hoc solutions.
- Using the data generated by monitoring tools to identify errors/bottlenecks and assisting the Development team in resolving them.
- Supporting the Development team for deployments and continuous integration, leveraging your experience with scripting and automation tools.
- Performing/scheduling/maintaining daily backup operations, including software upgrades on tools such as Cassandra, MySQL, Linux packages/kernel, etc.
- Fixing errors and system issues via periodic testing, help desk tickets, and other methods.
- Researching and recommending improvements to the organization’s hardware, software, and infrastructure.
- Testing and installing issued patches in conjunction with software providers and vendors or other third parties.
- Ensuring that hardware is adequately sized and configured by conducting planning scenarios to meet future needs.
- Helping to create and implement policies and procedures around security and disaster recovery for the business.
- Managing and monitoring user accounts, creating, updating and removing access as necessary.
- Acting as a consultant to the team as a technical resource on new applications or potential system enhancements in support of future requirements or developments
You’ll be a great match if you have:
- 3+ years of experience in Systems Administration, Operations Engineering, Back-End Development, Cloud Systems, Site Reliability, or Automation Engineering or Development Operations with an understanding of the application process and metrics to monitor resource usage.
- Strong knowledge of system design, analysis, installation, backup, recovery, storage management, methodologies, processes, and tools.
- Practical working knowledge of Linux and Linux Administration.
- Scripting skills with Bash and Python, or other similar scripting tools.
- Working knowledge of distributed systems and setups (e.g. Cassandra, Docker Swarm, HDFS, Service Oriented architectures spread across multiple machines).
- Understanding of various file systems. Specifically NFS, ZFS, HDFS.
- Experience with Containerization and/or virtualization technologies and tools (e.g. Docker, VMWare...).
- Experience with automation tools (Ansible, Chef, Puppet...).
- Ability to filter and analyze logs to understand problems in software.
- Experience with networking TCP/IP protocols and diagnostic tools.
- Ability to write concise and accurate documentation.
- Critical thinking skills and the ability to know when and how to use shortcuts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good sense of ownership and accountability.
- Ability to seamlessly transition between big-picture thinking and detail-oriented thinking.
- A Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Alignment with our Core Values
You’ll jump to the front of the line if you have:
- A M.Sc. in Computer Science or Computer Engineering.
- 5+ years of experience as a Systems Administrator or working in DevOps.
- Solid experience with Cassandra, Elastic Search, Docker, Docker Swarm, HDFS/Hadoop, MySQL, CQL.Familiarity or experience with Relational and Non-Relational Database Technologies: MySQL/Percona, Cassandra, MongoDB.
- Software development skills in Python, Java, Go JavaVM settings, or Python interpreter.
You’ll want to work with us because:
- We're in an exciting stage of growth -- and you'll be helping us accelerate even faster. Check out some of our recent growth achievements.
PageFreezer is in a niche field, which means the market isn't saturated yet and the opportunities are rife. We're already working with some big names, but we're just getting started.
- Working at PageFreezer, you’ll get the chance to make a serious impact by helping organizations around the world. Being part of the team that provides the leading website and social media archiving solution, you’ll be assisting governments, Fortune 500s, financial services firms, and more organizations collect and preserve their online conversations to comply with regulatory laws, stay out of legal trouble, and focus on what it is they do best.
- We take care of you! We offer a competitive compensation package, extended health benefits, a $600 Lifestyle Spending Account, $1000 annual education budget, a Tax-Free Savings Account and a matching Retirement Savings Plan. Our office includes a killer view, lovable office dogs, and a culture that values flexibility, real work/life balance, and trust.
This job is open to anyone authorized to work in Canada or those aspiring to do so who are capable of obtaining necessary work authorization. We strongly believe that a diverse team is key to making us a successful company.